...our "GG"...

So we will title this one...the softer side of me...
My Grandfather passed away when I was ten.  The man was tall and strong...to me he was invisible.   He taught me how to roller skate (with a pillow tied to my butt) and tell time.  He used to throw pillows at my brother and I as we climbed the stairs for bed after our visit at their house.  My Grandfather was a Principal of a high school and was very well respected.  I do not know all of the stories, but I know that he had some great years and some that were not so easy.  That I do know, and I will keep out the details.  Needless to say, I wish he would have been with us longer.
My Grandmother (his wife) never re-married. She just smiled and waited.  Always in the best of spirits, it was rare to ever see her in a down mood or feeling sorry for herself.  Truly amazing.  As she watched her friends pass, over the years, she would calmly say "I miss them...and I am the only one left to play bridge..."  She is sweet and caring, and has a wonderful sense of humor with a quick wit.  She often talked to my Grandfather before fading off to bed.  She told me one time that she talks to him often.  I believe her.  That was true love and many of us will unfortunately never find that.
My Grandmother, our GG...we are thinking of you today and love you...

Comments

Popular Posts