My Grandmother...

My Grandmother is a truly beautiful soul.  I do not think I will ever meet another person quite like her in my lifetime.  It is sad to say, but there really are not a lot of people left, in our current world, like Dot.  Let me think...my Grandmother (Dot) was a card shark and she threw a mean bowling ball.  Her cooking must have kept my Grandpa happy, because it was wonderful...a little dab of sugar helps any recipe.  She loved to play bridge with her friends and she was wonderful at sewing and making all kinds of things.  I have her old sewing kit, but I really do not know where to start.  She would know.  She was a wonderful beautician, and I was a beneficiary of the stinky perm...back in those days.  She always said to me, as she was wrapping my hair tightly around those metal rods (tear in my eye...) "Amy...it hurts to be beautiful my dear...".  So I just sucked up the pain and waited for my curly locks to unfold.  I remember her basement in the house where my Mother and her siblings grew up...my Grandmother and Grandpa always measured how tall the kids were and drew a line with a permanent marker on the wooden wall.  I do this now, with my own kids, in our basement.  My son would ask me to put a mark up every day if I would.  I remember the candles my Grandpa used to make, and after he passed, my Grandmother would still drag those crazy things out of the basement for every holiday.  It was sweet.  I remember having ice cold drinks, on a summer day, on her patio right next to the alley.  The squirrels running up the trees and the sound of a basketball bouncing in their driveway.  I usually won at horse, but I am sure my family would say otherwise. :)  My Grandma had the best smelling powder in her bathroom, and I think it was Jean Nate.  It came with a big fluffy powder puff and it got everywhere, but man did it smell good. 
I have some of my Grandma's things in my house now, and I will take care of them and cherish them forever.  They remind me of the old times and how simple life used to be...or at least that was my childlike perspective.  She wrote wonderful poems, and was a great story teller.  My Grandma always dressed wonderfully.  She usually wore colorful suits for special occasions, and her red lipstick was always perfect.  My kids loved "GG" and we visited her as much as possible.  I have so many memories, and as I think of them, I will type some more.  She was polite, kind, respectful, funny, graceful, smart, and strong.  I never saw her upset, and when she was, she always handled it gracefully.  I always admired that, amongst other things about her. 
My Grandma passed away today.  It was so sad to hear, but she lived a long and full life.  Not many people can say that they were able to be a part of their great grandchild's lives...but she was.  I am so thankful for that.  Grandma is with Grandpa now, and I am sure they are happy to be back together.  I know she is happy.  I will miss her very much.  I love you GG...

Comments

Rick said…
I love you Amy. You are more like your Grandma than you think.
Anonymous said…
This is beautiful and very heart felt.

Popular Posts