DO NOT BE THEIR BFF...BE THEIR PARENT!

I just saw this article attached to a post one of my friends put on Facebook.  I started reading the story her family wrote and it made me think of my own kids and what they could potentially face down the road...and what I would never want them to do to others.  This is a sad, horrible, series of events that happened to this young lady.  I will advise you, that the tweets that were made to her and listed in this story are very offensive and graphic.
It got me thinking, why are people so mean?  Why do they lash out at others and purposely try and hurt them?  Does it make them feel better about themselves, are they jealous of the other person, did the other person really do something wrong but they are too cowardly to face them and have a "real" discussion?  Are they hiding from the pain, dark truth, and insecurities in their own lives?  I am not sure.
I will say this, none of us are perfect and we will all say things that we shouldn't sometimes....BUT.... I will never think it is right to purposely bully someone, call them hateful names, lash out at them for stupid reasons, tear down their self worth and self confidence, use them as pawns, tell others lies about them, etc... Whether the other person hurt you or did absolutely nothing...there are other more civil ways, in my opinion, to work through issues.
To the parents whose kids tweeted these nasty comments to Christine... You have angry, foul-mouthed, violent children...and even though I don't know the whole story, from what I have seen, I will say that you have lost complete control and they do not know right from wrong...and I hope that you now know what they were up to and are on them constantly.  My kids are not perfect and I don't know everything that happens...but I try to know...BUT... if I found out my kids ever said something like what they tweeted they would not see the light of day for a long time and every electronic toy they have ever known would be taken away for a long time if not forever.
Please please get involved in your children's lives, know who they hang with and talk to...don't be their "PC" BFF...you are not a BFF...you are their PARENT...again...I will never claim to be an expert...I make mistakes and give-in every day, but I do know right from wrong...and I now know that you cannot be naive and you can never trust anyone 100% and you cannot assume that you know what your child is doing.  Don't wait for the school Bullying initiative or D.A.R.E. program to help your child...those are wonderful programs, but parents and guardians and grandparents and family and friends are the key to educating children and helping them learn and grow and protect themselves.
Please keep an eye on your children, talk with them, and try to have open communication and support.  Teach them what is right and what is wrong and don't just tell them once...tell them, remind them, every day. PEACE.

The article Christine's Mother wrote on Facebook is the link below...

(6) Remarks made by Grace McComas' mother Christine @RayRice 's Ray of Hope/Touch of Grace Pro-Kindness/Anti-Bullying Rally

Comments

Popular Posts