Do you like who looks back at you in your mirror?...

Well...it has been awhile since I have been able to write and or blog anything.  A series of events happened, in my life, over the last two months that have kept me very busy.  These events were somewhat life changing, but if anything, they were opportunities to learn and grow.  I won't mention what happened, because it is personal, but I will tell you what I have discovered from all of it.  There are hundreds of thousands of people in our world experiencing much more pain and worry than you or I will ever imagine.  Some of them have no one to help them, no money, no health insurance, and sometimes no place to stay.  So I sit an observe people wheeling, walking, crawling by me and I think that could be me but it isn't.  I was so upset about the dogs pooping on the carpet or the kids getting water all over the floor, but that man there is stuck in a hospital bed for the rest of his life, and the only person who visits him is his brother who complains about bills the whole visit.  Then I move on to every day occurrences...like people who are so insecure and lack so much confidence that they think it is a better idea to put other people down and blame other people, for their losses, in order to make themselves feel better.  I call them "the blamers"!  These are the folks that don't know how to hold themselves accountable for their own actions in life.  Anything bad that happens to them was always caused by someone else.  They couldn't have had anything to do with it!  Oh no!  It is interesting, but I have found that when you can own up to your actions and you can say, "gosh...I did that and it was wrong and I am sorry" it is much easier to look yourself in the mirror every day.  However, some people just aren't like that.  Somewhere, along the line, they were taught to point the finger at everyone else but themselves.  Just something to think about.  Moving on...I also, more recently, met people that were refreshing...the way I think it should be.  They are helpful, casual, not "pc", and would give you the shirt off of their back if you needed it.  Sincere and kind are words that come to mind.  If your dog gets loose, they would run down the street to help you catch her...offer to fix your sons bike at no cost, and cut your grass when they know you can't...just to help and be a good friend or neighbor...those kind of people...people that don't care if you have to walk barefoot, in your pajamas, to come collect your kid from playing for the night...those kind of people.  The scary thing about our world now, is there aren't a lot of people left that are like that.  They move too fast, they care too much about themselves and less about the well being of others, they can't even stop to let an old lady cross the street at Kroger because God Forbid they don't get that first parking space five steps from the front door!  When was the last time you did something really kind for someone else?  Even if it is just letting them in front of you while driving, or holding a door, or picking up something that someone dropped, or volunteering, or being a helpful  neighbor, or doing something for someone else where the only reward is to hear a "thank you"?... Our society is losing sight of something our parents or grandparents practiced back in the day...it is called common courtesy and respect for your fellow man... it is sad to watch, but I have had time to observe it even more these days...so take a look at yourself...do you like who looks back at you in your mirror?

Comments

Bethany V said…
Great points, Amy. I'm fortunate to have some neighbors like that as well. Thanks for the reminders of how we all should be.

Popular Posts