Mothers, restaurants, and the kids...hmmm

So, I am sitting in Friches last night (I love Big boy!)...I ordered my Diet Coke and water and waited to order my dinner.  An older couple sat down next to us, and they seemed as if they were ready to have a quiet dinner.  Wow!  They were in for a big surprise!  As I sipped on my drink, I kept hearing a woman talking very loud on her pink cell phone next to me.  She was saying stuff like "DAD, it has been a very long day...I don't want to talk DAD...I don't care what they said!..."  Things like that.  The older Man, next to me, kept looking over at her probably praying that she would put that dumb phone down and stop screaming into it.  No such luck for him or any of us for that matter.  The Mother had her to young children with her.  They were two young boys.  The boys were screaming about their food, about their drinks etc.  Saying that they didn't like this and that.  Remember, I am a Mother of two young children, so I understand how difficult it can be to take kids to a restaurant!  However, the boys were just being young boys in a restaurant...acting up a little and all the other normal stuff.  But...the boys kept getting louder and louder, the Mom is still on her cell phone yelling at her Dad, and she was ignoring her kids.  She just couldn't get off that cell phone.  That was obviously more important at the time.  Her boys were obviously trying to get her attention, as kids normally do when parents are on the phone.  Suddenly, one of her boys said, "MOM! I don't want this!" and the Mother said, "REALLY??!!  Do I look like I care?!!"  I was appalled!  The older couple next to me rolled their eyes at her and looked away.  Was it really necessary for her to say that to them?  If she could have just gotten off of the phone and calmed herself and her children down could she have handled it more maturely?  We all say things, to our kids, that we wish we could take back sometimes but this situation was an easy one to fix.  But that Mom didn't care and she obviously didn't care about what her kids were screaming about, or the fact that she and her kids were disrupting the entire restaurant.  But, the fact that the kids were loud wasn't what bothered me the most, it was what she said to her son.  It was like she didn't care, but she said she didn't care! So I guess that answers that.  So think about it.  Why are some of our kids doing bad things and being disrespectful to adults these days??  Is it because of their so called role-models?  What are they learning from what they see everyday?  Is it good?  Are they good life lessons or not? 

Comments

Popular Posts