Grandma's Day...

To all my family and friends...

Today we had a beautiful funeral and viewing for my Grandma...she was dressed to the nines like she would have wanted and she looked peaceful.  My children who are 9 and 6 came with me.  They were wonderful, and they dealt with everything with the utmost respect.  I told them that they didn't have to go past the casket to see her if they didn't want to, because some people just want to remember the person as they were when they were alive.  But to my surprise, my son (6) asked if I would take him up to see his "GG" one last time.  What a brave soul he was.  We walked slowly down the aisle and approached the casket.  He looked in and shyly said "I love you GG...goodbye".  I was so proud of him, but I held back the tears so that he could have that moment.  My daughter (9) really didn't want to go see GG, and I told her that it was okay...but for some reason she decided that she wanted to go up with her Papa to see GG one last time.  So they walked up.  My Dad said it was because Papas don't cry, and that she felt more secure.  I love my Dad and his soft moments.  My daughter did fine, and just said that GG was sleeping.  Yes, she is and she is with her husband...finally after 30 plus years...what a joy!  We stood for many hours and talked to all of the guests both family and friends that came to pay their respects...the hours seemed to go by like minutes.  It was finally time for the service for her.  They decided to have all of the cousins speak, and then they wanted me to read something I wrote about her the day she died.  So we did.  It was heartfelt and very emotional...my cousin Judy spoke and then my brother Alan, then my cousin Keith and myself...we received many compliments for what we said.  It was hard to stand in front of everyone and speak, because the memory of her was so close.  I know she is still so close...and that brings me peace.  A wonderful moment, and one I will never forget, is when I was speaking and I looked up and my boyfriend Rick was standing with my children in the back of the church listening to every word I spoke.  I knew Rick would bring them out to hear me, because that is the right thing to do and he is that kind of person.  I loved that so much.  Rick was very supportive throughout the whole day...I really appreciate him more than he probably knows.  So...we got through the service with many tears and tissues.  At the end, everyone walked past my grandma and paid their respects...and then it was our turn.  My immediate family walked past her and kissed her on the forehead and said goodbye.  My Mom is so strong, like my Grandma, and she had a hard time continuing to walk away after saying a last goodbye...I saw my Mom slightly turn and try to go back, but my Dad helped to keep her moving forward and moving on...that made me sad...but it was okay.  I love my Mom and I appreciate her strength and love. It was a wonderful service, and I am so glad that my Grandma is at true peace.
So...I started to think about the people I see and the shows we watch about people constantly fighting and in conflict.  The crazy thing is that these people can't even see tomorrow and they definitely not appreciating today.  We really don't know what will happen from day to day...do we?  We will not be perfect and we will have conflict, but is the fight about something stupid and insignificant really worth it?  If you couldn't see or talk to that person, the next day, would you feel better about yourself?  Yes. We must stand up for ourselves and what we believe is right, but when does it end?  That day?  That month?  15 years from now, when that person passes on?  When?  I never saw my Grandma get upset, but I am sure she did...she always had kind words for people, but she wasn't fake or unrealistic.  What happened to respect in our worldKids These Days: Facts and Fictions About Today's YouthSearch Amazon.com for karma?  What about common curiosity?  What the heck...what about plain common sense?  People, in our current world, are too hung up on what they need to buy, what their neighbor has that is bigger and better, do they have a nicer car or more expensive purse?  What the hell!  Seriously...my Grandma taught all of us to treat other people like we want to be treated.  Sure...the bad people take advantage of us and our good nature, but what would you rather have...???  Waking up knowing you are a decent person or questioning your daily actions??? Ask yourself that.  It just amazes me.  People need to wake up and go back to the simpler life in a technology advanced world.  Does that make sense?  It is possible, but only some will understand and the others will just continue to get sucked down the drain.

Anyway, I love you Grandma, and I can only hope that people will learn from your good nature and generosity in life.  I will miss you so much.

Comments

Angie G said…
You are special Amy. This is really thoughtful. Your grandma will always be a part of you. She will live on through you. She already is. My sympathies to you and your family. But she will be happy that you and her grandkids carry her with them.

Popular Posts