Invisible Society

Does anyone else feel invisible?

I don't mean like Superhero invisible special powers...I mean, I am in the grocery store, and I am going down the aisle collecting my goods...there is a lady standing in the middle of the aisle fingering her coupons, and I get right in front of her with my cart.  I wait patiently, and I was thinking..."well, maybe she can't see well or is hard of hearing...so I will just wait."  She never acknowledges me, so I finally say "excuse me Miss, can I scoot around you really quick?" She looks at me, roles her eyes, says nothing, and barely makes any effort to move her cart over.  And as I try and scrunch by her, she says something with disgust under her breath.
I just don't get it.  These days it seems like some people just have no idea what is going on around them, and I think in some cases they don't care.  Our society has turned hard over the last few years.  There is just a lack of care, concern, basic values, manners, and awareness out there.  It almost makes you want to hunker down in your home and never leave.
I have always felt like it was very important to "pay it forward" and do at least one good deed every day if possible.  It not only could help someone else, but it can make you feel like you are making a difference too.  But even with people doing things like that daily, it still feels like our society is getting angrier, more frustrated, sad, and almost hopeless.  It makes sense, that a lot of this change is coming from our current recession, lack of jobs, and constant worry.  And, in all honesty, I also experience this struggle and I have over the last three years.  However, there are certain people that I see everyday that are facing these same struggles, but they are still able to carry a smile on their face.  Amazing, in a lot of cases.
But...this societal change is somehow a little different in my opinion...people don't hold doors anymore, they don't say thank you, they are not patient, and they almost run you down with their car in the Kroger parking lot as they are barreling through the spaces.  It is like tunnel vision and complete lack of concern for others around them...Oh!  and then they get mad if you confront them...even if it was clearly their fault.
Some would say it is too much technology...people talking on their cell phones at stupid times, texting and walking or driving, browsing on their IPad while waiting in line...whatever.  I have always heard that we have too many different forms of technology these days, that people don't even have to talk to each other anymore...and some day actually talking may not be a form of human communication.  Well...I think we are on our way...
I am hoping that it will change, but it is going to take a lot of work and effort...What are your thoughts?
Peace.

Comments

Popular Posts